Common Mistakes to Avoid When Ordering Blinds
We’ve heard it all, from color matching woes to measuring mistakes. Fortunately, one customer’s pain is your gain. We have compiled a list of common window treatment mistakes in hopes that you can avoid some of these issues.
Mistaking Cut-Down with Custom
Box stores often offer cut down shades, which are off-the-shelf product and cut to the appropriate width. However, this is far from custom.
“At Next Day Blinds, everything is custom made after you purchase your products,” says Frank Sisto, Vice President of Operations at Next Day Blinds. “You get a custom-built product, made locally, and custom-tailored to your windows. All of our products are made one at a time, to your specifications in our factory. There is nothing pre-made [or] made in advance that gets cut down.”
Just like a custom suit requires exact measurements, so too do your custom window treatments. And while there are professionally services available to handle this tedious and time-consuming task, many still choose to go the do-it-yourself route. We support your can-do attitude, but just want to make sure you have all the information you need to ensure your new blinds and shades fit perfectly.
- Gather the Proper Tools: We recommend you only use a steel tape measure – never wood or cloth. Because the steel tape measure is more rigid, it makes it easier to obtain accurate measurements, which are extremely important when it comes to custom window treatments. And make sure you have pen and paper available to write down (and label) each measurement.
- Measure at 3 Points: Most people are surprised to learn that a window’s width and and height can differ depending on where you measure it. We recommend that you measure at 3 different points. For width, measure at the bottom, middle and top. For height, measure at the left, middle and right. Then round each measurement to nearest eighth of an inch. For width select the narrowest figure, and for height the tallest.
- Never Assume Windows are the Same Size: Even in the same room, windows can vary in size. So, it is important to measure each and every window.
- Measure 3 Ways: “Our custom window coverings are custom (built) for width and height, but we also give consideration to the depth of the window, the type of millwork, and the projection of the sill,” says Steve Freishtat, CEO and Founder of Next Day Blinds. Be sure to measure window depth, as well as height and width.
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: We recommend taking each measurement a few times to ensure accuracy.
Color Matching Mistakes
When it comes to shopping, the internet is a wonder. However, trying to find the perfect color match online can be a struggle. Often, the color you see on your screen will vary slightly (sometimes drastically) from the actual product. This is why Next Day Blinds provides our online customers with free window treatment swatches to ensure perfect color matching (or close to it) every time.
You can request free product swatches delivered right to your home so you can ensure the color, texture, pattern, and/or finish meet your expectations and match your decor. Each sample is hand cut from actual production materials to help you really envision your finished blinds, shades, or shutters. Mix and match from any of our custom window treatments for a closer look.
Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help
Whether you choose to work with Next Day Blinds online, at a showroom, or opt for our full-service Shop at Home experience, know that you will be supported throughout the process. Please do not be afraid to ask questions.
“We had the best experience with Next Day Blinds,” says Marion E. of Arlington, Virginia. “The staff at the store was very patient and helpful. They offered feedback and solutions to fit our needs. From start to finish, the staff was knowledgeable and professional.”
- Online: Our website allows you to build your new blinds or shades so you can truly visualize the final product before you buy. Shop Online >
- Showroom: The Next Day Blinds showroom allows you to actually touch, feel, and test our many different blinds, shades, and shutters. Each showroom features sample tables and light rooms where you can see how the shades looking at different times of day. Visit a Showroom >
- Shop at Home: Our in-home consultants come to you FREE of charge, bringing product samples and color swatches into your home to provide you inspiration as well as education on the options available to you. “When you choose the Shop at Home experience, it’s like bringing the store to you,” says Leslie Press, a Next Day Blinds in-home consultant since 2002. Your in-home consultant will provide you professional guidance and expertise to help you select the perfect custom blinds, shades or shutters for your style and budget. They will even provide you with a quote during your appointment, and can schedule installation as early as the next day. Schedule an Appointment >